Monday, October 15, 2007

Anime First Impressions: Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro



When I first found out that Shonen Jump's trippy detective Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro would have his own anime series starting this month, I was more than excited. So yes, I even braved the raws as soon as it came out (but since a subber already picked it up, I'm going to wait for the subs for the succeeding episodes).



Not sure what to make of Nightmare's OP theme for Neuro, DIRTY. It took me awhile for me to warm up to Nightmare's Death Note OP, so it may be the same case.

I was a bit disappointed to find out that the Neuro anime started with the mediocre third case in the manga, the one with the chef on steroids. But Neuro fangirl that I am, I didn't mind until I reached the middle of the episode. And that was when it bothered me: the anime's first episode is nothing more than lackluster. Sure, anime!Neuro played his part as the insane, abusive and domineering demon very well, and Yako wasn't bad too.


Check out this manga spread. It's not just Neuro who's plain insane - the characters who are found out to be the culprits behind murders and even the friggin' backdrop becomes insane. Somehow, the anime wasn't quite able to capture that. We're just treated with slapstick scenes of Neuro and Yako, and that's it.



I was actually expecting something akin to Samurai Champloo's marijuana episode. Damn, I loved that. Too bad Neuro's pilot episode fell flat.

But hey, it's just the first episode, and the second episode is already out. 'll still check it out, if only to hear Koyasu Takehito's voice again.

0 comments: